Một adjective trong câu bổ nghĩa cho nhiều noun trong trường hợp có chữ “and” ở giữa các noun này, và miễn là không có từ nào khác giữa chữ “and” và noun thứ hai.
Ví dụ 2 noun:
- The cheerful boys and girls run towards the playground. (Both the boys and the girls are cheerful.)
- The cheerful boys and the girls… (the boys are cheerful, but the girls may or may not be cheerful.)
- The tall man and his wife => makes only the man tall.
- The mischievous cat and dog => both the animals are mischievous.
- Place the red buttons and ribbons in the box => the buttons as well as the ribbons are red.
- Place the red buttons and the ribbons in the box => is different, as explained.
Ví dụ nhiều noun:
- Trash the rotten apples, oranges, tomatoes and eggs straightaway! => all rotten.
- Trash the rotten apples and oranges and retain the tomatoes and eggs. => only the apples and oranges are rotten.
- Put the new toys, pens and books on the table. (Toys, pens and books are all new.)
- Put the new toys and pens, and the books on the table. (The adjective ‘new’ qualifies only the toys and pens.)
(Visited 29 times, 1 visits today)